charming eze village

eze is a charming medieval stone village perched on a high cliff overlooking the mediterranean sea. very picturesque. like a storybook romanesque village. you explore and all things beautiful seem to embrace you. an exquisite confluence of the old and new.

lovely boutiques, souvenir shops, art and craft galleries, perfumeries, terrace cafes and restaurants all gorgeously tucked along the winding alleys punctuated by pink brick stones as if a red carpet is set to welcome you. there is beauty at every nook and bend prettified by little accents like lamp post, chair or planter. quaint box windows offer gorgeous views and stone walls swathed in hot pink bougainvilleas simply delight you.

all the way to the top is the ruins of the 12th century fortified castle that is now the jardin botanique d’eze, a garden of cacti and succulents. up there gives you a feel of being on top of the world with stunning and breathtaking views of the sea and the coastline.

then there is the striking ochre eglisé notre dame de I’assomption, a catholic church that is open for public daily. it was built in 1764 by spinelli, an italian architect. by the church and its lovely clock tower are pretty shaded squares overlooking the valley.

l'eglise notre-dame de l'assomption

l’eglise notre-dame de l’assomption

wandering through the open-air market, le marché, is a joy. it’s more than a part of life in france. it is a tradition. you find fresh produce and mostly locally made arts and crafts. lavender, very popular in the south of france, are sold in soaps, sachets, honey and even sweets. and of course fragrances in all shapes and forms including tied in straws for decoration.

eze is a must see! it’s just a short bus ride from nice and monaco.

This entry was posted in Travel and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to charming eze village

1. Kamila Pala says:

Beautiful place and great set of photos! 🙂 I know this lovely part of the world very well :). Have you been in Monaco? Bye. Kamila

2. Crooked Tracks says:

Beautiful place. I like the clock and food 🙂

3. fathersunny says:

those narrow streets are so awesome!

4. Jeanette says:

I love this, would love to go there myself.

Very charming village. These are wonderful photos that captured the romance of the village. 🙂 Love the shops. the garden is beautiful, Lola!

Awesome pics you have here lolaWi. I love that street market with all those spread of colorful goodies. Thanks for bringing me to a beautiful place.

We enjoyed this little place as well. You have some wonderful photos of your time there!

This has been in my bucket list and I definitely will try to go there when I go back to Europe.

9. megtraveling says:

That looks like such a charming place – great pictures!

10. prior says:

looks like a wonderful place – and I love the different angles and personal pics you give us too – it brings the place to life more. so nice. 🙂

11. rommel says:

Awesome trip! I’ve heard Eze a time or two, but never fully saw how beautiful and awesome it is. You really made it a place to visit. Would to visit it myself.

I want to be there right now! It looks delicious 🙂

Really a beautiful village! Thank you for sharing it!

14. Anonymous says:

Wow, what a beautiful, wonderful place, being there seemed like a step back in time…the architecture/structural of the buildings are simply awesome!!!! Very very nice photos!!!

15. Wow! what a beautiful, charming city, being there is like a step back in time…the architecture/structural of the buildings are just awesome. The marketplace looks like fun!

Ganda. I like your photos – they give the essence of the place. I want to be inside that Church – just imagine the faithful that have walked in and out of that door through the ages, and the saints whose souls have been formed there. Awesome.

17. ventisqueras says:

gran belle foto per un magnifico viaggio…la costa azzurra che conosco molto bene, ha per ogni angolo un piccolo paradiso
    felice giorno

thank you very much, Ventis. I’m glad you like my photos. yes, indeed, every corner of this part of the world is a paradise. so wonderful to see you here. 🙂