five photos/five stories #2: vigan, a walk back in time

thank you to Aletta of nowathome who invited me to take part in the five photos, five stories challenge.  here’s my entry for day #2:  vigan, a walk back in time

while in the philippines last year, we walked vigan’s old town known for its cobblestone streets and spanish colonial architecture.  16th century spanish-style houses were painstakingly preserved.  it’s an easy walk but a tour on a horse-drawn carriage or ‘calesa ride’ adds to a bygone era feel.

during the day, the strip offers  fun shopping for antiques, local woven products, potteries, jewelries and woodcraft.  no vehicles are allowed after sunset so walking the quiet, undisturbed lamp-lit streets can be romantic even magical.

vigan is drawing quite an attraction from travelers.  aside from heritage museums and centry-old mansions, it is known for burnay, a traditional jar crafted from locally sourced clay. cuisine is a culinary experience.  a visit to vigan is not complete without tasting its famous empanada (pork pie), bagnet (deep fried crispy pork with skin) and langgonisa (philippine sausage).

vigan is rich in history.  it was a coastal trading post for chinese traders before it became an important seat of a successful expedition and exploration by the spaniards in the 16th century.  vigan is in the northern part of the philippines and is a unesco world heritage site.

vigan

vigan

this challenge is quite simple: “post a photo each day for five consecutive days and attach a story to the photo. it can be fiction or non-fiction, a poem or a short paragraph and each day nominate another blogger for the challenge”.

for this week, i nominate Arlene of dreams and escapes to join.  no obligation of course; only if you want. 🙂

This entry was posted in Travel, Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to five photos/five stories #2: vigan, a walk back in time

1. alexistsoi says:

Would love to visit someday 🙂

That is a beautiful, attractive town with rich history. I so love this photo, Lola! 🙂

This is the capital town of my province, I grew up and went to school 30 minutes away by car.

Vigan is on my wish list I hope someday I will be able to visit it too. Thanks for the nomination, I don’t know if I could do justice to the challenge.We’ll see.

5. Girl Gone Expat says:

What a beautiful picture! Love the old buildings. I can understand the old town of Vigan is an attraction!

6. prior says:

vigan looks like a great place 🙂

7. Missing their empanada!

Lovely post, LolaWi 🙂 Someone else to meet. Help! 🙂

9. Looks like a lovely place to visit, Lola. Those pork pies do sound delicious. 😃

Would love to visit this beautiful city, truly a step back in time….good that they are preserving the history of this city. Beautiful post and pics.