old-fashioned

on our drive to geneva, hubby and i chanced upon this treasure, the fabyan windmill.  this gem sits majestically along route 25 drawing quite an attention for its charm and rich history.  the fabyan windmill served many purposes including grinding grain back in the day.

my entry to Ailsa’s travel theme – old-fashioned

fabyan windmill, geneva, il

fabyan windmill, geneva, il

…the Fabyan Windmill is an authentic, working dutch windmill from the 1850s located in geneva, kane county, illinois. the five-story wooden smock mill with a stage, which stands 68 feet (21 m) tall, sits upon the onetime estate of colonel george & nelle fabyan, but is now part of the kane county forest preserve district. it originally operated as a custom grinding mill – wikipedia

This entry was posted in photo challenge and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to old-fashioned

Such a beautiful windmill! It is an authentic, old fashion and beautiful! 🙂

What a lucky random find. It looks beautiful and standing strong. Amazing shot you got of it, and I like how the clouds in the sky gives this photo a moody feel. I don’t suppose you were allowed to go inside… 😉

it sure was a pleasant surprise, Mabel 🙂 it was closed when we chanced upon it but the park district have scheduled tours where you can go inside, learn about its history and watch how it was used for grinding grain like corn, wheat, etc. happy to see you here as always, Mabel! thanks for stopping by 🙂

3. Ady says:

What a lovely shot !!!! I thought windmills generated power ! So, they are used for grinding as well 🙂 Thanks for sharing 🙂

apparently so! they have tours to learn all these but at the time we chanced upon it, the windmill was closed. thank you so much, Ady! 🙂

When I saw the word ‘Geneva’ I immediately thought you’d been touring in Switzerland as well. But maybe you have as well. That’s a superb picture, Wilma

I just love windmills!!

6. Girl Gone Expat says:

I love this windmill, so much charm in these old constructions. It is beautiful!